2013 Accomplishments and Annual Appeal
2013 was another terrific year at Northwestern Stables! Through our programs, we supported the horsemanship of over 250 children and adults throughout the greater Philadelphia area. Thanks to generous donations, we are continuing to enhance the safety and beauty of our facility by extending the fencing used on our outdoor arena to the perimeter of our facility. The Philadelphia Department of Parks and Recreation is a strong partner with us on this project and fully supports these efforts as part of the ongoing work on our Sustainable Master Plan.
In 1929, the City of Philadelphia purchased property that included the Price Stables on Northwestern Avenue and deemed that the facility was to be managed by a community organization, never an individual or for-profit entity. This facility was renamed Northwestern Equestrian Facility (NWEF).
- Arena Fencing Replaced
- Stormwater Drainage System Phase I Replaced
- 50% Perimeter Fencing Installed
- Indoor Arena Footing Amended
- Lesson Barn Gutters Installed
- Year-round Lesson Program for Children and Adults
- Horse Boarding for Privately Owned Horses
- Summer Camp, 8 Weeks, Full-Day
- Field Trips with the Philadelphia Department of Recreation (REC)
- Community Service Program with Crefeld School Students, Weekly
- Philadelphia Equine Chapter 4-H Program
- NWS Scholarship Program for the Philadelphia Department of Recreation (REC) Children, Annually
- Fairmount Park Horse Show Weekend, including Open Barns Day in Fairmount Park
- Annual Holiday Bazaar
- Halloween Haunted Horses Costume Parade
- Host for the Wissahickon Day Parade & Horse Show
- Spring Cleanup Day
- Thank You Volunteers/Neighbors/Friends Barbecue
- Eagle Scout Badge Projects with Local Boy Scout Troops
- Project Work with Friends of the Wissahickon
- Various Equine-related Educational Clinics
As we embark on another successful year, we invite you to join us in celebrating NWEF’s upcoming birthday. The mythological Greek god, Poseidon, was said to have made the first horse on the first day of the first month. According to the Jockey Club of America, each racing thoroughbred’s birthday is January 1. In this tradition, we recognize January 1, 2014, as the 85th birthday of NWEF!
Join us in celebrating our 1929 birth date with a contribution of:
- $19.29 – Happy Birthday Gift
- $192.90 – Thoroughbred Gift
- $1,929.00 – Gift of the Gods
Thank you for your continued support!