2013 was another terrific year at Northwestern Stables! Through our programs, we supported the horsemanship of over 250 children and adults throughout the greater Philadelphia area. Thanks to generous donations, we are continuing to enhance the safety and beauty of our facility by extending the fencing used on our outdoor arena to the perimeter of our facility. The Philadelphia Department of Parks and Recreation is a strong partner with us on this project and fully supports these efforts as part of the ongoing work on our Sustainable Master Plan.
In 1929, the City of Philadelphia purchased property that included the Price Stables on Northwestern Avenue and deemed that the facility was to be managed by a community organization, never an individual or for-profit entity. This facility was renamed Northwestern Equestrian Facility (NWEF).
- Arena Fencing Replaced
- Stormwater Drainage System Phase I Replaced
- 50% Perimeter Fencing Installed
- Indoor Arena Footing Amended
- Lesson Barn Gutters Installed
- Year-round Lesson Program for Children and Adults
- Horse Boarding for Privately Owned Horses
- Summer Camp, 8 Weeks, Full-Day
- Field Trips with the Philadelphia Department of Recreation (REC)
- Community Service Program with Crefeld School Students, Weekly
- Philadelphia Equine Chapter 4-H Program
- NWS Scholarship Program for the Philadelphia Department of Recreation (REC) Children, Annually
- Fairmount Park Horse Show Weekend, including Open Barns Day in Fairmount Park
- Annual Holiday Bazaar
- Halloween Haunted Horses Costume Parade
- Host for the Wissahickon Day Parade & Horse Show
- Spring Cleanup Day
- Thank You Volunteers/Neighbors/Friends Barbecue
- Eagle Scout Badge Projects with Local Boy Scout Troops
- Project Work with Friends of the Wissahickon
- Various Equine-related Educational Clinics
As we embark on another successful year, we invite you to join us in celebrating NWEF’s upcoming birthday. The mythological Greek god, Poseidon, was said to have made the first horse on the first day of the first month. According to the Jockey Club of America, each racing thoroughbred’s birthday is January 1. In this tradition, we recognize January 1, 2014, as the 85th birthday of NWEF!
Join us in celebrating our 1929 birth date with a contribution of:
- $19.29 – Happy Birthday Gift
- $192.90 – Thoroughbred Gift
- $1,929.00 – Gift of the Gods
Thank you for your continued support!
Dear Friend of Northwestern Stables, Inc.,
As we come to the end of another successful year of serving our community through the affordable riding programs at Northwestern Equestrian Facility (NWEF), I am writing to share with you our 2012 accomplishments, our programming goals for 2013, and the value of your support to our students and facility.
We continue to focus our efforts on the core mission of Northwestern Stables, Inc., the nonprofit that operates NWEF:
To serve the community by welcoming people of all ages, incomes, backgrounds and equestrian disciplines through providing affordable quality riding lessons, programs and boarding to the residents of the Philadelphia community and surrounding area, and to promote and maintain the equestrian heritage of the equestrian facility and Fairmount Park through the repair and beautification of the buildings and grounds.
I am happy to report that in 2012 we provided riding lessons to over 270 students through our year-round lesson program and 7-week, full day summer camp. Our students come from 50 different zip codes in the Philadelphia metropolitan area. We have also continued our work with the Philadelphia Parks & Recreation’s Parks and Facilities Department (REC) with programs for children, and we are reaching out to individual recreation centers throughout the city to encourage more REC programs at NWEF in 2013 that will allow children throughout the city the opportunity to meet our amazing horses. Our work with the children at the Crefeld School provides a weekly, year-round program through their community service curriculum. Our Wissahickon Trotters – the only 4-H equestrian club in Philadelphia County – completed its first successful year of horsemanship, leadership, and community service projects.
Our work on the facility and grounds is ongoing. Thanks to our overwhelmingly successful “Buy a Fence Section!” campaign, we have improved the safety of our outdoor riding arena with new post and three-board fencing and a new metal entrance gate. We will continue to enhance the safety and beauty of NWEF by extending the same fencing around the perimeter of our facility. Please take a moment to review the enclosed photos to see our progress! The Commission of Parks and Recreation is a strong partner with us on this project and fully supports these efforts as part of the ongoing work on our Sustainable Master Plan developed by the Community Design Collaborative, a long-term development plan for our historic barn and surrounding property.
Additional accomplishments in 2012 included:
- Partnering with Friends of the Wissahickon (FOW) to clear debris from wooded areas and build swales to control storm water runoff.
- Partnering our Haunted Horses Costume Parade and Open House with the Chestnut Hill Business Association’s Harry Potter Weekend.
- Our most successful Holiday Bazaar fundraiser.
- Hosting the Wissahickon Day Parade horse show prior to the parade on Forbidden Drive
- Our most successful Fairmount Park Horse Show showcasing the talents of riders from the four Fairmount Park lesson barns.
Four of these programs are annual events at NWEF that allow us to share our facility and the equine tradition of Fairmount Park with the greater Philadelphia community as we raise funds to continue our mission.
Please consider joining me in support of Northwestern Stables, Inc. this year – your contribution is valued, appreciated, and ensures that we can continue to serve our community, our students, and our horses as we have for over 90 years.
Thank you for your generous donation!
Susan Kennedy Burgos
President, Northwestern Stables, Inc.