Job Description: Summer Camp Counselor
Summer Camp at Northwestern Stables has long been an important way to introduce young people to the joy of riding, as well as build skills among more experienced riders. We typically enroll 30-40 students during each of the eight weeks of camp. Campers are placed into small groups based on their riding abilities with a counselor assigned to each group. Daily riding instruction is provided by the Camp Co-Directors. The Camp Directors, along with the Camp Manager, supervise the Counselors, set the daily schedule, and resolve conflicts and concerns. Counselors prepare riders and horses for the arena, provide supervision for their group throughout the day, and lead campers through a variety of activities.
- Check campers in and out of camp.
- Know where group members are all times.
- Answer parent questions and refer serious concerns to the Camp Manager or Directors.
- Ensure campers properly tack-up horses prior to riding.
- Supervise removal of tack and cleaning/washing of the horses after each ride.
- Motivate camper to participate in all activities.
- Help develop and lead non-riding activities, such as arts and crafts, creek hikes, and water play.
- Remain focused on the safety of campers and horses before, during and after all activities.
- Maintain a helpful and friendly demeanor when interacting with campers and parents.
- Attempt to resolve problems quickly, deescalate tensions. and seek help when needed.
- Openly share your knowledge and love for horses.
Counselors work Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. during the eight weeks of camp. If a counselor has a planned vacation during Camp, he or she should disclose that information in the application.
- Sixteen years old or older. NWS may consider fifteen year old applicants with exceptional qualifications and parental consent.
- Experience with an equestrian summer camp and/or prior experience with NWS preferred.
- Riding experience.
- Experience working with younger children a plus.
- Comfortable initiating conversation with people of all ages.
- Ability to deliver excellent customer service.
Northwestern Stables employs a small but highly dedicated workforce committed to the health and wellbeing of our horses, riders, and community. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that celebrates diversity. Northwestern Stables does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law.
This is an hourly, non-exempt position. Counselors must remain on the property during lunch and will be paid for the time. Everyone is responsible to enter his or her hours into NWS’s payroll software on a weekly basis. Payments are made on Fridays every two weeks. The pay rate for counselors in 2023 is $7.50-9.00. Rate offered to a counselor will be based on skills and prior experience.
Or copy and paste: https://forms.gle/nFAiviquND1L799N6