Job Description: Summer Camp Director
Summer Camp at Northwestern Stables has long been an important way to introduce young people to the joy of riding, as well as build skills among more experienced riders. We typically enroll 30-40 students during each of the eight weeks of camp. Campers are placed into small groups based on their riding abilities with a counselor assigned to each group. Daily riding instruction is provided by the Barn Managers/Trainers. The Camp Director, reports to the Barn Managers and directly supervises the Counselors. Camp registration and billing is handled by the Executive Director.
- Ensure campers are properly check in/out; maintain camp attendance records using NWS Scheduling software.
- Supervise all counselors; create work schedule and staffing assignment, resolve staffing issues when a counselor is unable to work; provide regular feedback to help strengthen the counselor’s skills and abilities.
- Create a daily schedule of activities; develop and lead activities, such as arts and crafts, hikes, and water play.
- Support counselors in answering parent questions, referring serious concerns to the Camp Directors.
- Prepare facilities, materials, and supplies for camp; order camp supplies as needed.
- Help organize and lead counselor training.
- Ensure groups properly tack-up horses and arrive at the arena when scheduled.
- Remain focused on the safety of campers and horses before, during and after all activities.
- Report damage to the building, needed repairs, and other issues directly or indirectly impacting camp.
- Respond to all reports of injury, determine need for emergency intervention, notify parents, and complete paperwork documenting injury.
- Maintain a helpful and friendly demeanor when interacting with campers and parents.
- Attempt to resolve problems quickly, deescalate tensions. and seek assistance as needed.
- Openly share your knowledge and love for horses.
The Camp Director works work Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. during the eight weeks of camp. In addition, the Camp Manager should be available for 2 to 3 pre-camp workdays, including training for Counselors and CITs.
- Eighteen years old or older.
- Experience with managing a summer camp; prior experience at an equestrian camp a plus.
- CPR and First Aid certification desirable.
Northwestern Stables employs a small but highly dedicated workforce committed to the health and wellbeing of our horses, riders, and community. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that celebrates diversity. Northwestern Stables does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law.
This is an hourly, non-exempt position. The Camp Director must remain on the property during lunch and will be paid. Everyone is responsible to enter his or her hours into NWS’s payroll software on a weekly basis. Payments are made every two weeks on Fridays. The pay rate for the Camp Director for 2023 is $16-18. Rate offered will be based on skills and prior experience.
Or copy and paste: https://forms.gle/nFAiviquND1L799N6